1. Curb Appeal Projects: The Cost vs. Value report specifically mentions projects including steel entry door replacement, garage door replacement, vinyl siding replacement, and stone veneer addition. We would recommend planting colorful flowers in your beds and maintaining a healthy lawn for low cost improvements.
2. Wood Deck Addition: Outdoor living space is growing in popularity amongst homeowners and home buyers. The Cost vs. Value report also references a composite deck addition as having a good return.
3. Window Replacement: Vinyl windows offer a slightly higher return than wood, but both can translate to a more energy efficient home, which is definitely worth the investment in the long run.
4. Minor Kitchen Remodel: This project could include re-facing kitchen cabinets, replacing hardware, installing energy-efficient appliances, updating countertops, sink and faucet, freshening paint on walls and trim, and replacing flooring.
5. Attic Bedroom Addition: Similar to adding more living space to your home with a deck, converting unused attic space to a bedroom (or even an office or multipurpose room) can add value to a home. A more extensive attic improvement would include adding dormers for light, a small bathroom, and extending the HVAC to the new space.
If you are looking to stay in your home, improve it, and someday see a return, then these projects could be great for you. If you are interested in selling your home, then meeting with a REALTOR® and a home stager will give you a better idea of which projects will best serve you. Call our office today to set up a No Obligation consultation and learn what your home may be worth in today’s market and what home projects you may need to do in order help your home sell.
The full Cost vs. Value report for our region is available here: http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2015/east-north-central/